Sage (Salvia officinalis) - Simonos Petra Holy Monastery
Monasterial Sage (Salvia officinalis) is cultivated at the Simonos Petra Holy Monastery in Mount Athos. Its scientific name is derived from the Latin verb “salvare” meaning “to save” or “to heal”.
- It is an excellent tonic for general and cordial purposes.
- It stimulates the nerves, the adrenal glands and the circulatory system.
- It is also an excellent tonic for the nervous system and helps in every form of debility, weakness, nerve weakness, terror, vertigo, anxiety, while it has very good antidepressant action.
- It sharpens the mind and stimulates the memory.
- It is beneficial for the liver, the kidneys and the bile. It acts against diabetes, rheumatism and gout.
- It has antibacterial, fungistatic, antiseptic, viroustatic and styptic action.
- It is anticonvulsant and diuretic, it helps treat diarrhea and reduces bowel gases.
- It has a hormonal action, since it is has strong pre-estrogen properties, thus relieving menopause and dysmenorrhea symptoms.
- It stimulates and rejuvenates tired and aching muscles. It also relieves cramps.
- As an infusion it is ideal for the treatment of acne, infections, or wounds and may act against mouth injuries, thrush, gingivitis and pharyngitis. It helps heal infections of the tonsils, the larynx and the pharynx. Sage gargles (with a little of apple cider vinegar added) act against irritation of the mouth and throat. It has mucolytic effects (especially in cases of cough or sinusitis) and it is effective against asthma, while it is ideal against flu or common cold.
- It acts against hair loss and alopecia. It improves the color of dark and grey hair.
-It stimulates and gives shine to dry and sensitive hair.
- A steam bath with Sage and Marigold is recommended for deep cleansing and antiseptic action on oily skins.
In cooking: it is used in poultry, pasta, legumes and meats and flavoring various dishes. Try Sage liqueur made in monasteries. Use it to make deliciously aromatic Vinegars.
Precautions - Contraindications: Sage is an anti-perspirant and in big doses it prevents sweating. It should be avoided by pregnant women or people suffering from hypertension, and by children due to its excitatory effect. It should also not be taken continuously over two weeks because the essential oil of Thoyxonis may have possible toxic effects.
The above infromation is not medical advice nor substitute advice of another health care professional. They are provided for information only. Do not stop any other medical care recommendations without consulting your doctor.
Net weight: 30 gr.