Where is the Holy Monastery Grigoriou and when does it celebrate?
The Holy Monastery Grigoriou is a coastal Monastery and easily accessible by boat that transports pilgrims from the port of Mount Athos, Dafni. It is built on the west side, on rocks 30m high. and it is one hour away from the Holy Monastery of Simonopetra and the Holy Monastery of Dionysios.
Since 1574, the Holy Monastery of Gregoriou occupies the seventeenth place in the hierarchy of the monasteries of Mount Athos and celebrates on December 6th the feast of Saint Nicholas.
When was the Holy Monastery Grigoriou founded and who is its founder?
The Holy Monastery Grigoriou was founded in the period 1310-1314 by Saint Gregory the younger (December 7), the so-called hesychast and silent man. The Monastery is contemporary with the Holy Monasteries Dionysiou and Pantokrator, however, not much information is preserved about the activity of the Monastery during the first centuries.
According to historical sources, Saint Gregory was a student of Saint Gregory of Sinai and lived in the Skete of Magoulas.
Over time and as his spiritual children grew, Gregory decided to descend lower and build the Monastery in its current location.
Unfortunately, the pirate raids and looting forced Saint Gregory to leave Mount Athos and find refuge in Serbia. Eventually, Saint Gregory was laid to rest in the new Monastery he built there.
The two big fires that destroyed the Monastery
The fire of 1497
The fire of 1497 was caused by pirates and almost leveled the Gregoriou Monastery. The Monastery was really in danger of being deserted, but in 1513 the abbot Spyridon managed to secure money from the Moldavian ruler Stefanos. The Monastery not only survived, but was completely rebuilt and became more magnificent.
The fire of 1761
The ravages of fire hit the Monastery again in 1761. The difficulties were overcome thanks to the action of the leading personality of the Elder Ioakeim Akarnan, known as Makrygenis.
Elder Joachim succeeded in raising money to rebuild the Monastery and make it a force to be reckoned with again. In fact, he himself undertook the restoration of the new Church, which was even more impressive than the previous one and is preserved to this day.
The construction of the Church was completed in 1768, while the frescoes were completed in 1779 by two painters, Gabriel and Gregory from Kastoria.
At the same time, in 1783 Elder Joachim also built the south wing, which still exists today.
Saint Anastasia, the Roman patroness of the Gregory Monastery
During that period, the donation of the holy relics of Saint Anastasia of Rome was also made to the Monastery of Gregory (October 29). Since then, Saint Anastasia has continuously performed miracles and is honored as the third patroness of the monastery, after Saint Nicholas and Saint Gregory.
The Monastery of Gregoriou during the period of the Greek War of Independence in 1821
During the Greek Revolution, the Monastery of Gregoriou went through difficult times and lost its wealth. The consequent poverty in which the Monastery fell, forced it to ask the Holy Monastery of Great Lavra to become its subsidiary, without however knowing the outcome of this request.
In 1840, the Monastery passed to the communal system of administration and the first abbot was elder Neophytos, who built the Church narthex that we still see today. In 1851, the chapel of Saint Georgios was also built.
A few years later, in 1859, Symeon was appointed abbot of the Gregoriou Monastery and in the 46 years of his hegemony, he managed to pay off the debts of the Monastery which amounted to 170,000 grossia. At the same time, he initiated a new period of reconstruction and supported the construction of new facilities.
The Library and the relics of the Monastery of Gregoriou
The manuscripts of the Gregory Monastery are approximately 297, of which 11 are parchments and the printed forms reach 6,000. Among the great manuscripts of the Monastery, there is also the unique manuscript "The Shepherd" by Hermas, which is one of the occult works of the Gospel.
The treasures of the Monastery include a small part of the Holy Cross, church utensils and vestments. In addition, holy relics of Saints are kept, such as Saints Cosmas and Damian, Gregory of Nazianzus, Dionysios the Aeropagite, the right hand of Gregory the Theologian, as well as relics of Saint Anastasia.
Finally, the Monastery has 7 chapels inside and 6 chapels outside the monastery. Also, the monastery has 3 Kathismata and 6 Cells.
Contact with Monastery of Grigoriou:
Phone: +30 23770 23668, +30 23770 23671