Sage (Salvia officinalis) of the Simonopetra Monastery
Payment - Shipping Methods
Monastic Sage (Salvia officinalis) is cultivated at the Holy Monastery of Simonopetra in Mount Athos. Its scientific name is derived from the Latin verb “salvare” meaning “to save” or “to heal”.
- It is an excellent tonic for general and cordial purposes. It stimulates the nerves, the adrenal glands and the circulatory system.
- It is also an excellent tonic for the nervous system and helps in every form of debility, weakness, neural weakness, terror, vertigo, anxiety and neuralgia, while it has very good antidepressant action.
- It sharpens the mind and stimulates the memory.
- It is beneficial for the liver, the kidneys and the bile.
- It acts against diabetes, rheumatism and gout. It has antibacterial, fungistatic, antiseptic, viroustatic and styptic action.
- It is anticonvulsant and diuretic. It helps treat diarrhea and reduces bowel gases.
- It has a hormonal action since it is the strongest pre-estrogen herb, thus relieving menopause and dysmenorrhea symptoms, especially in perspiration.
- It stimulates and rejuvenates tired and aching muscles. It also relieves cramps.
- As an infusion, it is ideal for the treatment of acne, infections, or wounds and may act against mouth injuries, thrush, gingivitis and pharyngitis. It helps heal infections of the tonsils, the larynx and the pharynx. Sage gargles (with a little of apple cider vinegar added) act against irritation of the mouth and throat. It has mucolytic effects (especially in cases of cough or sinusitis) and it is effective against asthma, while it is ideal against flu or common cold.
- It acts against hair loss and alopecia. It improves the color of dark and grey hair. It stimulates and gives shine to dry and sensitive hair.
- A steam bath with sage and marigold is recommended for deep cleansing and antiseptic action on oily skins.
In cooking: Used in poultry, pasta, legumes and meats as well as for the flavoring of various dishes. Try the Sage Liqueur made in our Monasteries. Use it to make delicious aromatic vinegars.
Precautions - Contraindications: When used in big doses, sage can be anti-perspirant and prevent sweating. It should be avoided by pregnant women or people suffering from hypertension, as well as children due to its excitatory effect. It should also not be taken continuously over two weeks because the essential oil of tujone may have toxic effects.
Precautions - Contraindications: The above information is not medical advice nor substitute advice of another health care professional. They are provided for information only. Do not stop any other medical care recommendations without consulting your doctor.
Net weight: 30 g.
MONASTIRIAKA give you the opportunity to order the products that you wish through 3 ways.
Α. Through our website on-line 24 hours a day.
You can browse our products through our website and choose the product of your desire. Click the button BUY NOW** and then follow the steps to complete your purchase.