Wild Thyme (Thymus serpyllum) is one of the most common types of thyme in Greece with properties similar to the common thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.). Etymologically, “thymus” as the ancients called it, comes from the word “thyo”, which originally had the meaning of “I make smoke”, and the word “thysia”, which means “sacrifice”. From the same root derives the word “thymiama” (English: incense) and seems also close to the Greek word “thymos”, which means “anger”. In ancient Greek, anger does not mean “rage”, but it means “life force”. Thyme is an aromatic annual herbaceous plant. There are several kinds. The parts of the thyme used for therapeutic purposes are its leaves and flowering tops that are collected from June to August, during dry and sunny days. The leaves from the dried twigs are being removed.
Ingredients: The two major components of the thyme essential oil is thymol and carvacrol. Both – but especially thymol – have antibacterial and antifungal properties. It also contains natural antibiotics.
- Thyme is widely used in all traditional and alternative medicine. Thymol, which is a powerful antiseptic, is 25 times more drastic than phenol and it generally surpasses it due to the fact that it irritates less the mucous membranes.
- It is a natural stimulant in cases of physical and mental exhaustion, anxiety and depression. It helps in the clarity of the spirit.
- The hot thyme tea is diaphoretic and therefore effective and soothing in cases of colds, bronchitis, tonsillitis, coughs, asthma, gastritis, abdominal colds accompanied by diarrhea, food poisoning and fever.
- In cases of lung infections characterized by thick, yellowish phlegm, it operates effectively causing sticky mucus expectoration.
- Considered as an antiseptic for the digestive tract.
- Relieves bloating while soothing the digestive system, due to the anticonvulsant action of the essential oil of thymol to soft muscles.
- Helps a lot especially in the digestion of fatty foods.
- Used against the sluggishness of the digestive system and anorexia.
- Due to its mild styptic action, it is useful in child diarrhea and bed wetting.
- Fights psoriasis and acne.
- Compresses of thyme act against muscle spasms (stiff neck) and insect bites.
- As a gargle or mouth wash, thyme is an excellent remedy against sore throats and gingivitis.
- Externally, baths with thyme are used to relieve pains of rheumatism and the oil is often used in wet rubs and massage oils.
Use: In order to prepare a tea, add 1 teaspoon of thyme without the stem, to 1 cup with boiled water, cover for 10 minutes and then strain. The resulting mixture is used externally for the cleansing and healing of wounds. You can also drink it 1 to 2 times per day.
In cooking: Surprisingly, although the thyme started from here to conquer the world, in Greece it is not used much, since with the intense aroma and flavor it can only flavor oils, olives, vinegars, salad and pickles. We can, however, safely combine it with feta cheese, milk and boiled vegetables, pies, soups and sauces, cream, meat, poultry and fish. Nevertheless, we need to remember that dried thyme is much more intense than the fresh, so it must be used frugally.
You can use thyme to make thyme soup, enjoyed since the ancient times by the shepherds of Catalonia. They add one or two sprigs of dried thyme to one cup of boiled water and they strain after a while. Then they add oil and they pour with this broth on thin slices of bread. A recipe of Doric simplicity, but the result is wonderful!
Winter drink: Prepare a herb mixture by adding 2/5 mountain tea, 1/5 thyme, 1/5 mint and 1/5 sage. Boil water, turn down the stove and pour the mixture you have prepared in advance. Cover it for 10 minutes. Strain it and enjoy a hot drink with honey from Mount Athos.
Precautions - Contraindications: Although the whole plant at therapeutic doses is safe, it is contraindicated during pregnancy. Also avoid several days of internal use and do not accompany it with alcoholic beverages.
The above information is not medical advice nor substitute advice of another health care professional. They are provided for information only. Do not stop any other medical care recommendations without consulting your doctor.
Net weight: 45 g.
MONASTIRIAKA give you the opportunity to order the products that you wish through 3 ways.
Α. Through our website on-line 24 hours a day.
You can browse our products through our website and choose the product of your desire. Click the button BUY NOW** and then follow the steps to complete your purchase.